Skin healing and Collagen
As the largest organ in the body, the skin works hard as a barrier to protect everything that lies under its surface. It's our first line of defence and is susceptible to damage in many forms - like blemishes, sunburn, cuts and grazes and more severe wounds from injury or surgery. Throughout a lifetime, our skin will heal countless times without us ever having to think about it. The healing process is truly extraordinary.
Collagen plays a significant role in skin healing. When our skin (or dermis) is damaged, collagen production is triggered. Some cosmetic procedures such as laser skin resurfacing even create controlled micro-wounds in the skin to stimulate collagen production!
Skin healing 101
- Skin healing is a complex process, and collagen helps new tissue growth along in wounded areas. Collagen also works together with blood platelets to fill wounds.
- During skin healing, collagen helps to transport specific cells to the wounded area and surrounding connective tissue.
- After the initial damage to the dermis, an inflammatory reaction occurs, followed by what is known as the proliferative phase, where growth factors are released that stimulate collagen synthesis and the formation of new fibroblasts (cells that produce collagen and elastin).
- Tissue is formed and continues to pull the wound together during the next stage (the remodelling phase).
- Healing is affected by our general health - eating well, avoiding smoking and other toxins, and staying hydrated all help the healing process move along smoothly.
How to give your skin a helping hand
If you are undergoing surgery, healing from an injury, have existing scarring, or would like to help your skin heal for any other reason, consider taking peptide collagen for a boost. Quality ingestible collagen replenishes natural collagen stores and stimulates fibroblasts to produce more collagen. Vitamin C and zinc are also useful to support healing of any kind.
Adashiko Ultra contains Vitamin C and other skin-loving ingredients that work alongside peptide collagen to fight the signs of aging and support healing. We've had many customers with new and old scars and stretch marks report a major improvement after consistent use.
Adashiko ambassador Simone Anderson has experienced super fast healing and minimal scarring following her lower body skin removal surgery (learn more about her Adashiko experience here). Simone started taking Adashiko Ultra six months before her surgery - check out her incredible before and after shots here.