Collagen supplements are everywhere, and there’s a lot of talk about the role collagen plays in aging, but what exactly IS collagen? And what does it do? Here are some quick facts about this incredible ingredient.
1. Collagen is a naturally occurring protein found in skin, ligaments, fascia, bones, muscles, tendons, blood vessels, and the gut.
2. Collagen is the most dominant protein in the body, making up 30% of total protein.
3. It is a structural protein, and it gives shape, strength, and support to tissues in the body. It also assists the body with cell turnover.
4. Collagen is comprised of essential amino acids like glycine and proline. Did you know that glycine is essential for a healthy gut lining, strong immune system, and muscle building?
5. As we age, our collagen stores decrease by around 1-2% per year.
6. Sun exposure, smoking, and high sugar intake break down collagen, reducing levels further.
7. Collagen is produced by cells called fibroblasts (connective tissue cells). The right collagen supplement can stimulate fibroblasts and boost natural collagen levels.
8. Collagen is not just about anti-aging and skin: it is also amazing for general health.
9. Correct collagen supplementation has a whole host of benefits: healthy skin, hair, and nails; improved joint function; reduced arthritic pain; a healthier gut, and more.
10. Most collagen supplements contain large collagen molecules (derived from animal sources) that are unable to be absorbed by the body.
11. Peptide collagen, however, is easily absorbed and utilised by the body. This type of collagen has been hydrolysed to reduce the molecule size.
To learn more about creating beautiful skin with collagen, check out this blog post.