50 is a big milestone, and with this decade often comes the realisation that aging is starting to take hold. Fat, muscle, and bone loss can all play a part in facial aging, as do the decline in collagen and elastin in the body. The metabolism slows, meaning weight can creep on. Coupled with hormonal fluctuations, many women notice changes in their body and wellbeing around this age.
Aside from the visual effects of aging - like wrinkles, sagging skin, and pigmentation - often around this age we notice our bodies can feel a little more creaky and achy. Internally, connective tissue weakens over time, and unless we are proactive with exercise, our muscle mass also decreases.
It's not all doom and gloom, however. Healthy aging requires a multi-layered approach, and there are so many things you can do to stay looking and feeling great.
- Keeping active is key for both mental and physical health. Doing a form of resistance exercise a few times a week (alongside something like walking or swimming) will help you to retain your muscle mass and bone density. It is absolutely crucial to hold on to your precious muscle as you age!
- If you have health problems or hormonal issues, now is the time to take action. Explore all avenues and consider seeing a naturopath or other natural practitioner (alongside the care of your GP) if you are menopausal/pre-menopausal and struggling.
- Get serious with your health and look at your diet, water intake, alcohol intake, and supplements. What we put in our bodies has such a huge effect on health, and deep down we know what we should be eating and doing to function optimally. Minimising junk food, alcohol, trans fats, processed food and increasing vegetables, healthy fats, water, and fibre is a great start.
- The right supplements can help support your body in aging gracefully. Peptide collagen, in particular, has an extraordinary effect on the skin and body when taken in the correct dose, long-term.
- Be realistic with your beauty regime; there is only so much skin care can do. Don't feel like you need to spend hundreds of dollars on a large skincare range, because these products simply cannot completely reverse the signs of aging. Again, you need to approach beauty with a multi-faceted plan, working from the inside out with good food, movement, supplements, professional treatments (if your budget allows), and then quality skin care.
- Choose smart, fragrance-free skin care products with active ingredients. Adashiko Collagen + Noni Gel contains peptide marine collagen paired with superstar hydrator hyaluronic acid to smooth, brighten, exfoliate, and replenish the skin.
Adashiko Collagen Case study: Narelle
After a severe accident left her with three broken vertebrae in her back and two her neck, Narelle Mccormick had to undertake months of rehab and was left with constant aching and pain. After speaking to Luci (director of Adashiko), she decided to try collagen to support her recovery.
After three months of consistent use, Narelle had a significant reduction in pain and noticed an ease of movement in her body.
"I noticed such a major improvement in my recovery. Over time, Adashiko has enabled me to be very active again without the constant pain. The side benefits are also outstanding; my nails grew, my hair grew, and my skin looks so much better.
People keep telling me I'm glowing and I have definitely noticed a decrease in those fine lines you get as we mature."
After having a piece of skin cancer removed a few years ago, Narelle also experienced fast healing in the scarred area. With continuous use, she is still reaping the benefits of Adashiko Ultra.
"Once you get onto a supplement that is beneficial, the cost is irrelevant."
Five minutes with Narelle
How do you like to take your Adashiko?
I have it in my cup of tea in the morning. My husband had a knee surgery about three years ago, so he takes it too. I got him onto it beforehand. He was back at work three days after surgery!
What else do you like to do to stay healthy and youthful?
I try to be mindful with what I eat. In general, I stay conscious of my health. I'm not huge on exercise but I do a lot of walking while I work. I think it helps to keep the right attitude about health and aging.
What's your daily beauty regime?
I'm pretty fuss-free, and I don't wear much makeup at all; I spend two minutes on it if I'm lucky. My morning routine is a shower where I cleanse, then when I'm out, I apply two pumps of Adashiko Collagen + Noni gel on my face, followed by eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick. I use the gel at night as well. I used to use a night cream and all sorts of other products, but I don't need to now with the gel. It's fantastic.
What piece of advice would you give your younger self?
Start taking collagen now! If I'd known about it when I was twenty, or twenty-five, I would have started taking it. When you're in your twenties, you think you have plenty of time, and you don't think your body is going to wear out, but it does change gradually over the years.